Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch

I am very honored that Candy from Strategic Shopping asked me to write a frugal post for her blog.  I have known Candy for a long time....and she's not one of my "internet" blogger friends that I have never met!  Candy and I have a son the same age and they went to school together since Kindergarten - so I personally know Candy!  

I have to tell you that Candy amazes me.  Perhaps out of necessity - she knows how to be frugal as she is mom to 12 children!  At this time in our own life, with just two of us to feed, it is as important for me to become frugal as it was when I had a family at home to feed.  In this day and age it is not easy to make ends meet with the price of everything rising on a daily basis.  Sometimes it is harder to cook for two and not be wasteful so I try to make recipes that suit 4 people so we have enough for dinner and enough for leftovers one time during the week or even to pack for a lunch.  

As I started to think about what Candy wanted me to present to her readers I realized that for us it is a little more costly to make a pasta dish because I need to buy the lower carb pasta for Grumpy as he is Type 2 Diabetic.  So, if you don't need to watch your carbs, you can save more by buying the regular pasta which is about half the price of the low carb pasta.  We often like to eat pasta with seafood and while we love shrimp, we don't eat it on too regular of a basis because it is not only expensive, but high in cholesterol.  Grumpy's favorite fish is cod so I am always trying to think of ways to serve cod other than deep frying it.  



Serves 4 people
Approximately $1.50 per serving - using the Dreamfield Pasta
I also had a glass of Coyote Moon Vineyard's Fireboat White which is 10.95/bottle 
Total for meal:  $3.33

6 oz dry pasta (I used Dreamfields), cooked according to package directions
3/4 pound fresh cod fillet, cut into small chunks
1-1/2 teaspoon ground pepper - I buy peppercorns and grind mine as I use it
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon zest
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons butter

Cook pasta in medium saucepan according to package directions.

Toss cod pieces with salt and pepper.  Set aside

In small saucepan bring lemon rind, lemon juice, thyme,and garlic to a simmer.  Add butter and simmer until melted.

Cook cod over medium-high heat with 1 teaspoon olive oil in non-stick frying pan, turning pieces over after about 3 minutes.  Cook 3 minutes more.

Place drained pasta in saute pan with cod.  Add lemon butter garlic sauce and toss to coat pasta and fish.  Sprinkle with parsley flakes.  

2 comments:

  1. Candy, thank you so much for inviting me to share with you on your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete