Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Fels-Naptha
I made a new five gallon bucket of laundry detergent today.
 
There are many recipes out there, but here's my favorite!
 
Grate up one full bar of Fels Naptha soap (You can find this in the laundry detergent aisle at Price Chopper.)
 
Put into a large kettle with a couple of gallons of water (I don't really measure it out!  Anything will work!)
 
When the soap has all dissolved,add one cup of Borax and one cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda - not to be mixed with baking soda
(Both of which are also  sold at Price Chopper.)
 
Continue to heat until everything has dissolved.  Any clumps that won't cooperate can just be scooped out and thrown away.
 
Dump concoction into a clean five gallon bucket, and fill to the brim with water.
 
Let it set.
 
After a few minutes, it will already be gelling up.
 
When it has totally gelled up, I stir it and start doing the laundry!
 
I use different amounts, depending on how dirty  the clothes are.
 
A typical load gets about one cup  full of the homemade laundry detergent.
 
This laundry detergent is literally pennies per load!

1 comment:

  1. I use this also.I found the washing soda and Fels Naptha soap at Ace Hardware.

    ReplyDelete